Friday, December 8, 2017

Good Fool

I will not be a butterfly in a lidded
mason jar
won't lean back so comfortable that I tip me over
can't be your summer dying softly like
a dirty dandelion
what lies behind my eyes is sacred 

I am a good fool, one with heart, the best kind

sweetness of all we were
was it enough to have it once?
missing-
simple, lazy incurable romanticism
it had its own temperance 
changing everything 
when all we desired was escape
filling up on beautiful fantasy that never led
to anyplace, now a cinematic mistake

I am a good fool, one with dreams, July Sunday's

closeness we sought to keep wasn't meant to stay
and being unhappy with you was the best
sadness I have ever had I think
I could become recluse for you
or bore holes in the ceiling, let the stars 
burn through the pictures that we made
but I think I'll place them by the river bank

quietly slip away telling no one
I once had everything I ever thought I'd want



Ever been sad with someone you love? Ever known that letting go was the only choice? Ever missed the days you longed for the thing that's been given you & when you got it, it just wasn't enough? Ever hurt so secretly that pain felt like such a selfish sin? 
Maybe longing is its own story, a call in our heart one that sometimes goes on and on until it's perfectly answered. Here's to all the good fools out there, we're going to keep looking for our palimpsest hope alive, rewriting as we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @vanesadawn