Friday, February 7, 2014

we were lovers

we were lovers, never friends
i fell headlong into your smile
melted in the heat of your skin
became addicted to the taste of your lips
and remembered their crest
your breathing reminded me i am alive
and that feeling ran ecstatically through my veins
and i shouted to the night
bless this love
but this love had no direction
we were lovers, never friends
champagned nights couldn't cure me
they soaked me to the bone and i couldn't run
we were young
our bodies fit perfectly
and you wrapped yourself around me for a year
and i borrowed your name
as sure as waves of love crashed in
they swept me out with you as well
there was no going back
you were part of my storybook i could tell
we slept and didn't sleep in a borrowed cottage
and the tower light swept through our room
i was lost, found, drunk and sober
we were children of the night
even the shadows couldn't steal that jealous moon
you were cool like river air on my skin
yeah we were lovers, never friends
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @vanesadawn